15 August, 2006

Committed

Updated: (Fixed embarrassing title typo.)

I don't know about your group of leaders, but mine is still struggling to get their commitments posted. With the waterfall commitment setting process this year, there's a darn good chance that my review will happen before I get to finalize my commitments.

The irony here is that my leaders committed to having their commitments finished three weeks ago so my group could work on theirs.

Good leaders do what they say they are going to do. It's not so much to ask, is it?

I like the new commitment tool. The transparency is a good thing. What seems to be happening though is that it has become deeply politicized, and is being used as a platform for the, "Look at all the stuff I'm going to do this year!" management crowd whose unwritten last commitment is always "Manage up."

The tool does have its plusses. You can see the boundary layer between the strategic and tactical leadership in your org. It makes it easy to spot the self-promoting managers.

But most importantly, we'll all finally get to see what SteveB's commitments are.

If he ever posts them.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, you could not be more correct on this. I've been pinging the tool looking to see when I can even see anything above me...nothing. I watch my mailbox for the mail from above explaining the dates by which people need to have them done...nothing. I try to think about the "surprise" that I'll get on September 15th because nobody has had the decency to talk about what to expect in review compensation. I know what I very specifically asked for and the silence speaks volumes. Don't count on Steve posting anything at all, and that boundary for self promotion seems to get lower every year.

    ReplyDelete